Main Office: 32nd St & Broadway and Prison Facilities (Lewis and Adobe Mountain)
The purpose of this position is to serve as a coordinator and provide life skills education to incarcerated men 18 years an older. You will also recruit, train and monitor the volunteer mentors who will be matched to the participant post-release.
Duties and Responsibilities:Recruit, screen and train volunteer mentors within the community to mentor men during pre and post releases stages of incarceration.
- Outreach and conduct presentations to recruit 150 potential volunteer mentors within the Maricopa County communities.
- Accept applications, screen and interview the potential mentors to make sure they qualify and are the right fit for the program.
- Conduct weekly in-person volunteer mentor trainings throughout the valley and conduct the trainings via phone and skype as needed.
- Outreach and conduct presentations to recruit potential participants within the correctional facilities.
- Accept intake documents and conduct assessment interviewing to enroll participants into the program.
- Organize and facilitate group mentoring with the participants in multiple correctional facilities.
- Work with the program case managers and participant to create a transitional plan prior to the participant leaving prison.
- Match the participant with a volunteer mentor, set up the first meet up, monitor and support their relationship.
- Audit mentee and mentor relationship monthly.
- Provide resources, additional training and information to mentors as needed.
- Renew volunteer mentors on an annual basis.
- Provide regular updates and complete reports needed by the Program Director. Share mentoring experiences, exchange ideas and discuss problems and challenges during Mentor meetings.
- Additional duties: outreach about Father Matters programs, offer case management services as needed and assist with SNAP/AHCCCs applications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience in mentoring, reentry services, restorative justice, victim advocacy, youth programming, customer service or related experience.
- Have no sex offenses, child abuse or neglect convictions
- Must be able to pass background check through the Department of Corrections badging process. If you have a felony or was previously incarcerated, you must have been out of prison for at least 3 years.
- Must be able to pass a drug test and a TB test.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License, auto insurance and reliable transportation to get back and forth to different prisons.
- Must have basic knowledge in customer service practices, working with a computer, typing, emailing, communication and soft skills.
- Willing to work some evenings and weekends, based on the correctional facility schedule and volunteer mentor training schedule.
Number of Hours Worked per week
35hours Rate of Pay
$14.50 per hour with some mileage reimbursement